The main reason is abusing this drug. If without prescription means anyone can buy it from online stores and they can do anything and this is not advisable for children who younger than 12. Then, Tramadol is a pain reliever that has a narcotic effect, and it can cause side effects like serotonin syndrome, decreased alertness, seizures, and drug addiction, and sometimes it might even lead to death. And, this is the reason, why it’s difficult to buy Tramadol without a prescription from the local drugstore.So, By the above points whether you are purchasing from local store or an online pharmacy, it’s better to buy this medicine with a proper prescription to avoid the overdosage issues too.
Dangers of Tramadol
Tramadol is habit forming and thus should not be taken unless it is prescribed by the doctor. It should also never be crushed, broken or the extended-release pill should not be opened and then consumed, else it could result in a fatal dose. When this medication is misused, it could result in not only addiction but also overdose and death. This is especially true for children or people who are not prescribed this drug. Therefore, it should never be shared with anyone.
The reasons why a prescription is required
- This needs to be consumed with care as it cannot be taken when one has consumed alcohol, sedatives, narcotics or tranquilizers in the recent past.
- It is known to cause slowness of breath or even stopping of breathing when it is first started
- There are chances of this causing seizure upon taking
- It cannot be taken by people who are on antidepressants, muscle relaxers or even those on medication for nausea or vomiting.
- If taken when pregnant, it can cause withdrawal symptoms in the newborn which could be life-threatening.
- It cannot be used by nursing mothers as it passes into the breast milk and could harm the baby.
Precautions before taking this medication
To buy Tramadol, the doctor is needed to prescribe this medication as there are certain precautions which need to be considered. This medication is never given to a patient who:
- Is allergic to it
- Has breathing problems or asthma
- Is using tranquilizers or sedatives
- Have a history of epilepsy, seizures or head injuries
- Has drug or alcohol addiction
- Have metabolic disorders
- Is under medication for migraines, spasms, mental illness or depression
There are various drugs that interact with Tramadol and these could be seemingly harmless over the counter drugs or even herbal ones or vitamin pills. That is why this medication can only be administered by a medical practitioner and to one who is informed about all the medications you are taking, the disorders or diseases you are suffering from as well as your past history.
This is the reason why this drug is placed under the Federal Controlled Substances Act under Schedule IV